Hello blog hoppers and welcome to your next stop along tonight’s CASE-ing the Catty Crew Blog Hop. Hopefully, you’ve arrived here from Tina’s fabulous project and are ready to keep on hopping along after this to see the rest of the crew CASEing the Love, Thanks, & Support section of the 2019-20 Annual Catalogue.
My inspiration this week comes from page 77 and this lovely little card which combines a great layout with a fun technique – emboss resist with pigment sprinkles.
I love the emboss resist technique (my cards from my team blog hop on Friday also used this) and the new Pigment Sprinkles have been patiently waiting for me to have a play with them, so this was an obvious chance for me to do that. I did make a couple of mistakes and learnt a few things along the way, and have much still to learn, which I will share with you here so you don’t need to make the same mistakes!
The stamp I chose for the embossing is from Dino Days. Because he is not entirely solid as a figure I did make sure to use my Stamparatus and ink him up with Versamark three times so that there was really good coverage of ink for the embossing powder to cling to. I also left the stamp set up thinking I could stamp and emboss him again right at the end if I felt like he needed to stand out more. I didn’t end up doing this but it is good to remember this is another option with the Stamparatus.
My first attempt:
Mistakes I made: I used watercolour paper and taped it down to my work surface (this is so the paper doesn’t bow when you apply the water, which makes it harder to control where the colour goes). My first mistake was taping them so close together, the pink from the top sprayed over onto the one below. Not such a big deal, really, but not what I wanted. The second mistake is a little funny – I chose Melon Mambo and Bermuda Bay as my colours but it turns out that when I cleaned up the near disaster last week of my three year old discovering the fun little jars on my desk and taking off all the lids (I rescued that one JUST in time!!) I had put the wrong lid back on the jar so this was actually Granny Apple Green powder. Oops! My third mistake was just applying way too much water. I spritzed the paper first, then sprinkled the powder, then sprayed the paper again. This really saturated the paper and although I mopped some up with paper towel the paper was pretty distorted and the colour was too saturated. I don’t think this is a bad look, just not what I was going for.
As you can see the ink really puddled around the embossing and leeched into it more as well, being the softer watercolour paper.
So I started again, this time with Shimmery White paper (which is my favourite for colouring techniques) and taping the two further apart, and even checking the label on the bottle to make sure I had the right colour!!
I sprinkled the powder onto dry paper first and then carefully spritzed it with water. Eh voila, magic!
With the lighter application of water you actually get more variation in the colour (also, the Bermuda Bay pigments are much more green looking than Bermuda Bay ink). Once it had dried and settled a little I also dropped a few bigger droplets from my fingers onto the paper to create the bigger and lighter splotches you can see.
Once dry I trimmed the panels down to create the two cards.
The first is on a base of Rococo Rose. I love how the brighter pinks look with Rococo Rose.
The second card is on a base of Pretty Peacock. I am just loving this new colour! It looks fabulous with greens and blues.
The sentiment is from the Dino Days stamp set, mounted on a stitched circle.
The paper is from the Dinoroar DSP. This is such a cute pattern full of colour – you could team it up with any base colour and it would look great.
I mounted the front panels on a layer of foam rather than using dimensionals – this makes the card quite heavy and it stands out quite a bit so I don’t always do it but sometimes it’s a much nicer effect than dimensionals, especially when you have a panel like this which wasn’t entirely flat after the colouring.
A little stamping on the inside…
And finally, all put together in clear envelopes as well. I never feel like a card is really “finished” until I’ve packaged it up with an envelope like this.
We’ve had some fantastic entries to our challenges lately on our Facebook page, so make sure you create something using the inspiration to be found on page 72-97 and share it with us on the Facebook page this week.
Next up is Judy, hop on over to check our her beautiful creation for this week.
Thanks for stopping by,